The Power of Storytelling with @jonathanopp
Reliable Acorn 5:34 PM BMA Carolinas
TL;DR: Stories are powerful ways to communicate. Create a story for your brand to use that power for your marketing efforts.
The Power of StorytellingWhy is storytelling so powerful?
- Story is universal to the human experience. It overcomes our instincts to ignore and summarize information.
- Storytelling makes things memorable. Facts along are easily forgotten.
- Stories turn critics into participants.
- Setting. This is what makes a story memorable.
- Characters. A lot of companies like to be the hero of the story. Let your customer be the hero. Be their mentor instead.
- Conflict. Every hero has a conflict to overcome. What is your customer's conflict or pain point? How can you guide them to their heroic conclusion?
- Emotion. For a story to be successful, you need a stake in it. What is at stake in your customer's story?
- Journey. There is a start. There is an end. Where is your customer starting? Where would they like to end?
Tools for StorytellingThink of a legendary character that characterizes your story.
The Storytelling Framework:
- Turn your organization's story into a people story.
- Cast customers as heroes in your story.
- Keep asking "why."